Graduate Certificate in Gerontology
North Dakota State University - Graduate School
USD 600 / per credit *
Earliest start date
* per credit hour
This fully-online 15-credit graduate certificate program is perfect for individuals who enjoy working with adults, are passionate about improving the quality of life for people as they age, or are currently working in an aging service field, but would like to enhance skills, knowledge, and credentials.
We live in an aging society, one in which the older population is growing both in absolute numbers and in proportion to all other age groups. Businesses, government agencies, service organizations, educational institutions, and self-employed professionals from every economic sector are recognizing the need for specialized knowledge and skills to meet the needs of this changing demography.
Gerontology is the multidisciplinary study of the aging processes and individuals as they grow from middle age through later life.
Some use the certificate in gerontology for continuing education credits or a career ladder opportunity. A graduate certificate can also be used to supplement a master's degree in another field.
Will the skills I learn help me advance in my career?
Our curriculum will teach you to:
- Identify the needs associated with aging through all levels from the micro (individual) to the macro (society).
- Advocate for elders by working globally at the policy level or working one-on-one with older adults.
- Demonstrate how to relate course materials to real-world experiences.
- Navigate the complicated world of money management, retirement options, the cost of health care, and more.
- Understand design principles that allow older adults to continue living in their own homes.
- Identify and utilize health systems to afford elders the highest level of quality of life.
- Motivate older adults to take personal responsibility for their own health and wellness.
What can I do with a degree in gerontology?
An advanced degree in the field of gerontology can benefit newcomers as well as advanced professionals in a wide variety of programs and services:
- Social work
- Human Services
- Business and marketing
- Public policy
- Long-term care administration
- Interior design
- Product design
- Adult education
- Rehabilitation therapy