Master of Public Health
Edith Cowan University
Distance Learning, On-Campus
Full time, Part time
Earliest start date
This coursework degree caters to students who see themselves working on the frontline in responding to the world's public health problems.
In addition, it is designed for those who aspire to a career in the health and research sectors, including a child and adolescent health, healthy ageing, health protection and clinical health services, with a focus on programme development and management.
The course provides students with an advanced skill set required for international professional best practice and it allows for some customisation of their study.
- Semester 1: Study full-time at Joondalup or Online
- Semester 1: Study part-time Online
- Semester 2: Study full-time at Joondalup or Online
- Semester 2: Study part-time Online
Students are required to complete 9 Core units and 3 Core Option units.
|Unit Code||Unit Title||Credit Points|
|HST5161||Public Health: Philosophy, Principles and Practice||20|
|HST6510||Public Health Planning and Evaluation||20|
|RES5115||Research Preparation: Principles and Approaches||20|
|HST6333||Diversity, Culture and Health||20|
|HST6106||Health Science Research Project 1||20|
|HST6107||Health Science Research Project 2||20|
|HST6335||Public Health Strategies||20|
Select three units from:
|HST6337 ^||Communicable Disease||20|
|HST6338 ^||Law and Ethical Issues||20|
|HST6341 ^||Maternal, Child and Youth Health||20|
|HST6350 ^||Drug Use and Addictive Behaviours||20|
|HST6355 ^||Ageing, Health and Wellbeing||20|
|HST6522 ^||Public Health Leadership||20|
|OHS6134 ^||Principles of Environmental Health||20|
|OHS6138 ^||Occupational Health Management||20|
|NUT6110 ^||Food Vision||20|
|NUT5116 ^||Applied Food Science and Systems||15|
|NUT5114 ^||Public Health Nutrition||15|
Note: Students can only study one from NUT5116 or NUT5114.
Please note: Most electives run every year, however, some only run once every two years. Some elective units may also run exclusively on-campus or online. Please refer to the ECU timetable for delivery schedules.
Students who are unable to complete this degree may, with Course Coordinator approval, exit with a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma of Public Health.
^ Core Option
Course Learning Outcomes
- Apply cognitive, technical and interpretative skills to investigate, evaluate and synthesise complex psychosocial and health issues in authentic situations.
- Apply communication and collaboration skills to design evidenced-based contributions to public health practice and scholarship.
- Demonstrate expert judgement and autonomy when initiating, planning and executing a substantial public health study.
- Reflect critically on a complex body of public health knowledge, research principles and methods to demonstrate mastery of public health practice and scholarship.
This course provides students with an opportunity to develop competencies that have been widely endorsed as being appropriate for graduates working within Australia and overseas.