Preserving teeth is the basis of dentistry. Currently, endodontics is one of the specializations within the dental practice that is experiencing increased demand due to the lack of specialized professionals who can manage the high level of difficulty it involves. Knowledge of radicular anatomy and dental pulp states is a challenge to a general dentist. It is important for odontologists to acquire the knowledge and skills that are necessary to tackle endodontic treatment and retreatments independently of the difficulties that these may involve.
The proposal to offer an online Master’s degree in Endodontics is due to the high demand in endodontics within the dentistry sector. This master’s degree is set out as a top-level program within the university system, although without achieving the highest level of qualification offered by the European Master’s Degree in Endodontics. Due to the current economic situation many students who opt for part-time study find areas lacking in module-based or short programs, since they believe that they will not provide enough work placements or fall short in terms of literature reviews and research methods. Online Master's Degree in Endodontics students will be odontologists who want to increase their knowledge in endodontics, with an education based on evidence, combining clinical placements with scientific knowledge, but who are unable to take a full-time or semi-exclusive three-year master’s degree.
This master’s degree will provide:
- Training as an expert in the field of endodontics.
- Knowledge of new materials and technologies related to endodontics.
Once students have completed this master’s degree, they will be qualified to clinically tackle cases of endodontics or re-endodontics in order to understand and value scientific articles on endodontics and be able to undertake a bibliographical review.
It is for that reason that the objectives of this master’s degree are:
- To diagnose the problems that concern the periapical pulp complex.
- To acquire clinical and cognitive abilities to tackle endodontic problems.
- To be able to make decisions when faced with endodontic failure.
- To be able to undertake endodontics and re-endodontics.
- To be familiar with apical surgery and intentional reimplantation
- To be able to deal with orthograde retreatments.
- To understand scientific articles related to endodontics.
- To design a research project.
- To relate endodontics to other areas of dentistry.
Study program and subjects 2020-2021
|Subjects in course 1||Term||ECTS|
|Clinical Concepts in Endodontics I||Anual||5,00|
|Clinical Endodontics I||Anual||27,00|
|Clinical Techniques I||Anual||21,00|
|Foundations of Endodontics||Anual||4,00|
|Treatment Planning. Discussion of Cases I||Anual||3,00|
|Subjects in course 2||Term||ECTS|
|Clinical Concepts in Endodontics II||Anual||4,00|
|Clinical Endodontics II||Anual||33,00|
|Clinical Techniques II||Anual||8,00|
|Decision-Making in Endodontics||Anual||3,00|
|Final Master's Degree Project (Cross-Disciplinary Res.)||Anual||4,00|
|Treatment Planning. Case Discussion II||Anual||4,00|
- ECTS: European Credit Transfer System
- Term: calendar term
Methodology and evaluation
Students will be evaluated for the different modules and materials, taking the following into account:
- Written tests (exams)
- Acquisition of knowledge of clinical, technological and surgical skills through continuous assessment
- Defense of your final Master’s Degree Project and the presentation of cases before a jury
Material which the student must supply:
- A laptop
- A digital camera
- Contra angle
- Endodontics motor (to use rotatory and reciprocating files)
- Electronic root canal apex locator
- Elements filling system or similar
- Radiovisiography device
Prerequisites and Admission
Required documentation for registration
- A filled-in pre-registration sheet.
- 1 attested copy of the corresponding degree qualification (with an original stamp).
- 1 Academic Certificate of qualifications (original or attested photocopy).
- A photocopy of your national ID card (DNI) or passport.
- Payment of €90** via bank transfer and payment receipt sent by post.
(Except for former UIC Barcelona degree students).
- Copy of CV listing courses and conferences attended.
- Letters of recommendation (recommended, not compulsory)
*For students from outside the European Union, both their qualifications and their degree qualification must be attested via the diplomatic route or carry a Hague Apostille stamp. (The degree qualification does not need to have been officially homologated).
*Candidates who are in the last year of their degree program must provide a list of the qualifications they have obtained up until the date they register.
**Not reimbursable for administration fees.
- Students must hold a qualification that equips them to exercise dentistry-oral surgery in their country of origin or residence.
- Interview with the program director or coordinator via Skype where they will evaluate the students’ academic and personal skills, as well as their ability to work in a team.
- Online part:
- Weekly seminars on Mondays and Tuesdays from 9-11 p.m.
- The student will organize clinical sessions with their tutor (these are currently being undertaken on the collaborate platform) to talk about clinical cases and research work.
- Students must complete the weekly programmed laboratory time during the times that suit them best.
- On-site part:
- Students will attend four intense weeks per academic year at the university.
- Pre-registration date: From January 2020
- First year: € 19,080*
- Second year: € 18,616
- * This price includes annual enrolment fees € 480 per year. Current tuition fees are pending approval from the Board of Governors in our university.
- The amount for the second year in for the next academic years 2021-2022 is still pending approval from the Board of Governors in our university and is subject to increase based on the Spanish Consumer Price Index (IPC).
- Number of places: Participation in this program is limited to 6 students.
- Certification: 120 ECTS Master’s Degree in Online Endodontics.
- Language: English
About the School
The Universitat Internacional de Catalunya (UIC Barcelona), offers you a highly personalized university education with a strong vocational element. Since 1997 we have been teaching people based on aca ... Read More