The most up-to-date information on the University of Veterinary Medicine Budapest without actually travelling to Budapest
Here is the list of information sources you may find useful:
- Book an online appointment!
If you feel like the university has got your interest, and you would like to learn more about the admission process, you may find it useful to have a chat with one of our admission officers. You can book a 20 min appointment with them here: https://indico.univet.hu/e/admissioninfo.
- Take a virtual tour at the university!
Here you can find a link to the virtual tour at the university: https://univet.hu/virttour/eng/. Following the little arrows and information points, you will be able to get a feel of the camp us without actually visiting it.
More online information channels (videos, testimonials, online presentation, animation etc.) available at www.univet.hu/en
This Program is open to high school graduates and students with university studies as well, as it is a combined Bachelor and Master Program
The University of Veterinary Medicine Budapest seeks students with appropriate academic qualifications, good command of English, and strong motivation to study and practice veterinary medicine.
UNIVERSITY OF VETERINARY MEDICINE BUDAPEST (UVMB)
- Over 230 years of tradition in veterinary education.
- More than 30 years of experience with teaching international students.
- Practice oriented training in small groups (8-15 students) – 1800 contact hours with animals.
- Small, friendly, centrally located campus in the heart of Budapest – students and teachers easily get to know each other (all together approximately 1500-1600 students).
- The most international veterinary university – students from 50 countries (67% international students, 33% Hungarian students).
- European degree – EAEVE accreditation: the degree received at UVMB is accepted automatically by the member countries of the European Union and in several other countries of the world.
- The preparation of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accreditation is in progress. After obtaining it, graduates will be able to get their license in the US and Canada.
- Unique Horse (Equine) Clinic in Europe with its horse isolation and bone surgery facilities.
VETERINARY MEDICINE PROGRAM (ONE-TIER-MASTER)
- Practice-oriented training: Theoretical foundation of studies, followed by a practical training on how to treat and cure animals
- Quality education, 5.5 years:
- Preclinical period: 4 semesters, main subjects (like Anatomy, Histology, Biochemistry etc) and farm practicum in animal husbandry
- Clinical-paraclinical period: 7 semesters, includes the paraclinical subjects (like Animal Breeding and Husbandry, Pathology, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Food Hygiene, State Veterinary Medicine and Economics, Forensic Veterinary Medicine etc), and weekly clinical hours in Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Surgery, Obstetrics and Animal Reproduction
- Small and Large Animal Clinics: provide students, staff, and clients with 21st-century facilities for diagnostics and treatment
- Well-paid profession: After 5.5 years of studies, students receive the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine diploma. It ensures outstanding career prospects, a respected and acknowledged profession.
STUDY PROGRAMME STRUCTURE
- The entire curriculum consists of more than 5000 hours, a curriculum standard for the European Community.
- The program lasts 5.5 years divided into 11 semesters.
- Before the conclusion of the program, students submit and defend a thesis; and pass the state examination.
- The curriculum contains lectures, practicums, and field- or extramural practice. (Lectures are given for an entire term, practicums are held in a tutorial system with 8-15 students in a group.)
- The curriculum is divided into a pre-clinical and a clinical-paraclinical period.
The pre-clinical period
- This comprises of the first four semesters (two years). The main subjects are Anatomy, Histology, Embryology, Biology,
- Chemistry, Biophysics, Zoology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Biomathematics and Computer Applications.
- Languages can be chosen as electives.
- The pre-clinical period also contains a farm practicum in animal husbandry.
The clinical-paraclinical period
- This period lasts three years and includes the paraclinical subjects Animal Breeding & Husbandry, Pathology, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Immunology, Microbiology, Virology, Pathophysiology, Parasitology, Epizootiology, Animal Nutrition, Animal Hygiene, Food Hygiene, State Veterinary Medicine and Economics, and Forensic Veterinary Medicine.
- Parallel to these, the student has a large number of weekly clinical hours in Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Surgery, Obstetrics and Animal Reproduction.
- The clinical-paraclinical period includes several extramural practicums. Subjects listed for both the pre-clinical and the paraclinical-clinical periods are the core studies complemented with a number of minor and elective subjects.
Final exams are typically oral, semi-finals and mid-terms are both oral and written. All graduates of the Budapest veterinary school have had their diplomas accepted, or easily passed the local board exam (where it was needed) in their home countries and they are working as fully licensed veterinarians.
FIELDS OF CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
- The degree students get here ensures outstanding career prospects, a respected, well paid and acknowledged profession.
- Working at a vet clinic (with small or large animals)
- Working with small animals (as a private practitioner)
- Working with large animals (as a private practitioner or at farms)
- Working with exotic and wildlife animals (in nature, national parks or in the zoo)
- State Office of Veterinary Hygiene and Public Health
APPLICATION AND ADMISSION
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis from until 30 June (in cases of vacancies later). Documents need to be uploaded to apply.univet.hu
What do you need to apply to the University of Veterinary Medicine Budapest?
- high school leaving certificate
- curriculum vitae (resume)
- short medical report
- copy of passport with your personal data
- letters of recommendation can be enclosed