Diploma in Health Services Management Level 7
National Institute of Education in Auckland and Christchurch.
This qualification targets health professionals from diverse ethnic backgrounds who work in the healthcare sector, such as healthcare assistants, administrators, and managers. Currently there are many health professionals with a minimum qualification taking on management responsibilities; consequently, this programme provides an opportunity for up-skilling in this sector.
The Diploma will allow them to engage in a higher level study by taking a learner-focused collaborative approach, and in so doing improve their current level of qualification.
The Diploma is divided into three learning blocks, each containing a combination of sector-specific areas of study and learning outcomes that expose students to aspects of adult learning and health promotions management and training in New Zealand. The Diploma includes the delivery of six papers that total 120 credits, including a 30 credit research paper. The focus areas are Managing and Building Capacity in the Health Care Sector, Health Promotion in NZ, and Conducting Research on a NZ-based Health Care Project.
On completion of this qualification, graduates will demonstrate knowledge, skills, and understanding of the practices, theories, and principles required to be effective managers in the healthcare sector or work in a professionally related field. They will also be equipped with the skills, attitudes, and values required to be able to function as confident, independent and reflective healthcare professionals.
Graduates will be qualified to seek employment in New Zealand and internationally in a range of managerial roles in healthcare organization and health services. Positions open to graduates may include
- Health Care Facilities Supervisor
- Healthcare Unit Coordinator or Manager
- Residential Services Manager
- Day Services Manager
- Health and Welfare Services Manager
- Community Health Co-ordinator
- Health Promotions Manager
The qualification can lead to further study in the area of health services management, at degree level, postgraduate level or relevant industry qualifications.
- 18 years of age or over (international students).
- Successful completion of a minimum of a Level 6 qualification or its equivalent; or at least 3 years’ work experience in a relevant sector.
- International students require IELTS 6.0 (Academic) overall, or the equivalent level of English.
- Or, students must have gained approval for special admission by the Academic Board.
Intakes in 2015:
8 January, 26 February, 26 March, 28 May, 18 June, 20 August, 10 September
Program taught in: