The Physiotherapy program offers students with an extensive understanding of physical, structural and physiological aspects of human form and movement. Based on the current educational guidelines of the World Confederation of Physical Therapy (WCPT), the program additionally provides all the necessary knowledge and skills required for the promotion of motor development and coordination, use of physical methods to control pain, implementation of therapeutic exercise for impaired muscle system, assisting in the physical management of the cardio-respiratory system, or improving balance and neuromotor control for better performance and function.
Enrollment in the Cyprus Physiotherapists and Physiotherapy Establishments Registration Council
Graduates from the European University Cyprus Physiotherapy Program may register with the Physiotherapists and Physiotherapy Establishments Registration Council.
Objectives & Outcomes
- To develop the student’s capacity to think, write and speak effectively and creatively;
- To develop an appreciation of and respect for social, moral and ethical values as the foundation of one’s relationship to others and one’s responsibilities to the community;
- To develop the students analytical, decision-making and communication competencies together with those qualities of self-reliance, responsibility, integrity, and self-awareness which will promote personal achievement and contribution to organizations;
- To build breadth of perspective through the general education requirements and provide sufficient specialization to meet basic professional and career requirements;
- To provide the student with the necessary requirements for academic and/or career advancements
Specific Objectives The objective purpose of the Physiotherapy Program is the theoretical, clinical and practical education and training of students so that they are able to manage cases where patients have low functional ability aiming to introduce them into society the soonest possible. Moreover, graduates of the Program are experts on the Physiotherapy Science and they are able to promote and protect the individual’s health, to prevent, improve and rehabilitate pathological cases, whether these are inherent or acquired, as well as traumatic injuries which cause disorders to different systems of the organism, such as the musculoskeletal, nervous, respiratory and cardiovascular. The cultivation of analytical and critical thinking, as well as the students’ support towards active participation in the learning process, is the core purpose of the Program. The learning process is a continuous lifelong process that enables the students to work as autonomous professionals or as members of a health team and to be able to fully meet the needs of the Physiotherapeutic rehabilitation of the patient. The graduates of the Physiotherapy Program acquire a comprehensive knowledge in terms of scientific and practical background. They are able to assess, choose, organize and carry out securely all Physiotherapeutic practices since the studies program can be considered dynamic and totally modern thanks to the Science development within the area of Health. The studies program reflects the new facts in the area of Physiotherapy, which is a new and dynamic science with constantly increasing researches it assesses, organizes, applies, promotes and reexamines the findings, which found its practice. The educational environment and the Professors’ thorough Academic training, provides a high-level of knowledge and skills, required to exercise the Physiotherapeutic science. The methodology and approach of teaching strengthen the active participation of students of Physiotherapy in the learning process. The graduate Scientist – Physiotherapist uses natural means and methods aiming to rehabilitate, maintain and promote the physical and psychological state of the individual, as well as his social existence, where damage, injury or disease have altered his daily activities.
Graduate Physiotherapists shall also be able:
- To offer qualitative Physiotherapy to patients hospitalized in public or private hospitals or institutions in Cyprus and abroad and offer their services to the family or community bearing a patient or a disabled person.
- To occupy a significant role in promoting and treating the public health and welfare via educational and advisory services as well as in educating individuals about the correct position and motion during their daily activities.
- To help the individuals’ self-care and self-service, by providing not only them but also health officers and other supportive services with advice and education, aiming to achieve the individuals’ welfare and independence to the maximum.
Today, the Physiotherapist:
- Is trained and he respects the patients, he works in total discretion, he verifies that the patients receive adequate information on their problem so that they can give their consent to the suggested rehabilitation scheme.
- Develops analytical and creative thinking for critical examination and readjustment of the daily practice, aiming to achieve the evolution continuity.
- Is an expert on the research process and he develops a research activity for the Physiotherapy Science development purposes.
Finally, the studies program follows the Science evolution and it is adapted to the occasional circumstances, aiming to provide high-quality services to the patient.
Upon successful completion of this program, the students will:
- To assess the patient’s problem (SOAP) and to provide clear documentation on the Subjective (S) and Objective (O) findings, to assess (A) all factors contributing to the problem and to Plan (P) the rehabilitation.
- To choose the indicated evidence-based Physical Therapy, aiming the functional ability of the patients the safer and the sooner possible.
- To offer their best services to Public or Private Hospitals, rehabilitation centers, physical therapy centers etc., in Cyprus and abroad, being reliable and largely responsible.
- To contribute to the Public Health promotion and treatment throughout training and advisory services.
- To offer ergonomic training to Health Officers but also to the public, decreasing thus the constant professional fatigue and any consequences might ensue.
- To respect and apply the rules of conduct, to work with discretion, by respecting the independence and rights of all individuals.
- To provide the patients with sufficient information about their problem, so that the latter participate actively and with their consent to the suggested rehabilitation scheme.
- To readjust the Physiotherapeutic intervention according to the orders of the Medicine and Physical Therapy Science dynamic development.
- To be up-to-date with the research process, to choose and apply the orders of the modern Science. Finally, to develop a research activity in order to contribute to the Physical Therapy Science progress.
Private Practice, Public and private Hospitals, Clinics, Retirement Homes, Sports Clubs, Sports Centers, Secondary and Higher Education, Research Centers.
About the School
European University Cyprus is actively engaged with local, regional and global partners to promote opportunities for long-term strategic research partnerships and innovative programs of study.