RAK College of Pharmaceutical Sciences (RAKCOPS)
RAK College of Pharmaceutical Sciences (RAKCOPS) commenced the B.Pharm program in the year 2007-2008 after the initial accreditation by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA) and Ministry of Education, UAE. Master Programs commenced in the year 2012-2013 for Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Clinical Pharmacy specializations and in 2014-2015 for Pharmaceutics specialization. All the programs are re-accredited by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA). With 22 students at the beginning of the B.Pharm program, the college has grown remarkably well and is now having a total strength of 187 students. In the last 11 years, a total of 268 students had been graduated with a Bachelor's degree and 31 with Master Degrees. The college has signed MOUs with different pharmaceutical industries, international universities, and hospitals for training and student exchange programs.
Bachelor of Pharmacy Program (B. Pharm) curriculum 2018-2022 comprises of four years duration with General Education (21 credits), Biomedical Sciences (12 credits), Pharmaceutical Sciences and Practice related courses (106 credits) including Practice School with a total of 139 credits.
Bachelor of Pharmacy Program (B. Pharm) curriculum 2019-2023 is aligned at level seven of the ten-level Qualification Framework Emirates. The program comprises of General Education (19 credits), Biomedical Sciences (11 credits), Pharmaceutical Sciences and Practice related courses including Practice School and electives (103 credits) with a total number of 133 credits.
The curriculum has been developed to provide learning opportunities enabling pharmacy students to acquire fundamental knowledge, develop basic skills and required competence to be part of the health care team and contribute to the community.
Bachelor of Pharmacy
Bachelor of Pharmacy Degree Program (B. Pharm) comprises 4 years with three and a half years of course work and 6 months of practice school including electives.
The program comprises of General Education (19 credits), Biomedical Sciences (11 credits), Pharmaceutical Sciences and Practice related courses (103 credits) including Practice School and electives with a total number of 133 credits.
B.Pharm Program Highlights:
- Recognized Nationally, Regionally, and Internationally.
- All Programs Accredited by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA), Ministry of Education (MoE).
- Meets the need of the University.
- Curriculum BenchMark at International Standard.
- Internationally Experiences & Trained Faculty.
- Early Research Exposure.
- Innovative Teaching, Learning and Assessment Methodologies.
- Multicultural & Multi National Academic Environment.
- Intensive Practice School Training.
- International Student Exchange Program.
- Industrial & Hospital Collaborations.
Goals and Objectives
The curriculum has been developed to provide learning opportunities enabling pharmacy students to acquire fundamental knowledge, develop basic skills and competence relevant to health care in the context of patients and community.
The main goals of the program are to:
- Provide a comprehensive pharmaceutical education leading to B Pharm degree
- Prepare for evidence-based pharmacy practice in the changing health care environment of the 21st century
- Integrate the basic sciences with pharmaceutical sciences to enable the students to apply their knowledge to health care
- Impart pharmaceutical knowledge with skills to enable the students to deliver efficient pharmaceutical care
- Develop a professional and compassionate approach in the implementation and management of health care
- Provide a community-based pharmacy education program
- Prepare pharmacists who can function effectively in the multidisciplinary health care system
Program Learning Outcomes
At the end of the Program, the students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basic pharmaceutical sciences and the ability to acquire, manage and use current information in problem-solving
- Recognize the scientific basis of health, disease, and treatment in the management of common and high impact medical conditions in contemporary society, considering the local culture and practice.
- Describe the molecular basis of diseases and modalities and the way in which they affect the body.
- Demonstrate the fundamental knowledge of pharmaceutical care, especially patient counseling, drug information services and adverse drug reaction reporting, chemistry, physicochemical properties, pharmacological activities of drugs and pharmaceuticals
- Describe the synthesis, formulation & analysis of drugs & pharmaceuticals
- Identify the rules and regulations involved in the manufacture, distribution, and sale of medicines
- Describe the basic ethical principles and its implications in the care of patients
- Provide effective patient counseling, professional dispensing, unbiased drug information to medical practitioners and report ADR.
- Demonstrate the ability to evaluate the patient’s problems and to formulate accurate hypotheses to serve as the basis for making choices of drugs and treatment decisions by the doctor
- Demonstrate the ability to formulate and implement a plan of pharma care and manufacture for clients in the prevention and treatment of diseases
- Educate patients about their health problems and to motivate them to adopt health-promoting behaviors.
- Collect new information and data and to appraise critically its validity and applies to professional decisions.
- Organize, record, research, present, criticize and manage drug information based on the available literature and communication skills.
- Work effectively as part of a health care team, with an appreciation for the multiple contributions of other health care professionals.
- Follow the principles and method of practice-based learning and improvement that involves investigation and evaluation of patient care, appraisal, and assimilation of scientific evidence and improvements.
- Synthesize, formulate, analyze the drugs and pharmaceuticals
C1 Autonomy & Responsibility
- Manage complex and unpredictable work procedures
- Work creatively and effectively
C2 Role in Context
- Function with full autonomy in a technical and supervisory context
- Take responsibility for self and group outcomes
- Contribute and observe ethical standards
- Manage learning tasks independently and professionally in complex and unfamiliar contexts
Admission Criteria for Bachelor of Pharmacy
General Admission Requirements
- RAKMHSU admission policy is based on student academic achievement in the secondary school certificate or its equivalent, and English language proficiency, regardless of gender, race, color, religion, age or national origin.
Admissions to the B.Pharm Program of RAKMHSU shall be competitive and will be based entirely on the scores in the UAE GSEC/ Grade 12 or its equivalent.
An aggregate of 70% in the grade 12 science stream/ Advanced stream of UAE GSEC of Ministry of Education. Preference in admission will be given to those with high scores in Biology and Chemistry/Physics.
Abu Dhabi Education Council stream students should similarly have 70% aggregate. Preference in admission will be given to those with high scores in Advanced Biology (level 3) and Advanced Chemistry( level 3).
Minimum Eligibility for admissions to B.Pharm:
Proficiency in English:
- Proficiency in English equivalent to a TOEFL score of 500 in paper-based test, 61 in internet-based test or 173 in computer-based test OR Academic IELTS score of 5 OR EmSAT Achieve- English score of 1100 – 1225 OR Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) score of 41 OR City & Guilds IESOL Test score of B1/B2 Borderline OR Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE A) score range of 36-41 is required.
- This will be common for all health sciences programs. The students may appear for TOEFL in their country or in any recognized center in UAE. RAKMHSU runs an English language program through the English Language Centre and is entitled to conduct Institutional TOEFL. Any student who wishes to enroll in any of the RAKMHSU programs, but could not appear for TOEFL in his/her own country, can be benefited from the services of the English Language Centre. The grades awarded in the institutional TOEFL conducted RAKMHSU OR Direct TOEFL offices at Abu-Dhabi & Dubai are acceptable.
Note: Students securing between 450-500 in TOEFL (between 4.5-5 in IELTS) may be admitted provisionally to the first semester of B.Pharm. after examining individual cases and the number of attempts by the student. Such students will be provisionally admitted with a deadline to clear TOEFL/IELTS before the end of the first semester. Such students will progress to the second semester only after obtaining a minimum score of 500 in TOEFL/5 in IELTS. If not, their admission will be canceled and they will not be registered for the second semester of the program.
Admission to all programs is based entirely on merit. Admissions are open to students of all nationalities.
- An aggregate of 70% in the grade 12 science stream/ Advanced stream of UAE GSEC of Ministry of Education. Preference in admission will be given to those with high scores in Biology and Chemistry/Physics.
- Abu Dhabi Education Council stream students should similarly have 70% aggregate. Preference in admission will be given to those with high scores in Advanced Biology(level 3) and Advanced Chemistry( level 3).
- All India Senior School Certificate/CBSE XII Std with 65% aggregate can apply. Preference in admission will be given to those with high scores in Biology and Chemistry/Physics courses.
Indian State Board:
- For Indian State Board Examinations, those with 70% aggregate can apply. Preference in admission will be given to those with high scores in Biology and Chemistry/Physics courses.
- Higher Secondary School Certificate with an aggregate of 65% can apply. Preference in admission will be given to those with high scores in Biology and Chemistry/Physics (Part 1 and Part 2 total).
- An aggregate score of 70% is required. Preference in admission will be given to those with high scores in Biology and Chemistry/Physics. If Biology is not taken in 12th Grade, an SAT II score of 550 in Biology is required.
- Must have completed any six courses including Biology and Chemistry/Physics at the higher level and obtain an IB score of at least 25.
- Completion of Pre-University year required (Grade 12) with 70% aggregate in Physics, Chemistry and Biology subjects.
About the School
RAKMHSU is the First Comprehensive Health Sciences University in UAE under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Saud Bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Ruler of Ras Al Khaimah and Supreme Council Member, United Arab ... Read More